Monday, March 06, 2006

Asafoetida

So tonight i discovered the taste of asafoetida, well actually i was able to put a name on the taste of one dish I tried in Mysore last week. I brought it back with a giant bag of indian spices.
I cooked one curry with it, seeing the size of the box (which is mostly full of layers of plastic bags) i guessed that i should put a small amount into my food. I did put about 3mm^3 in a triple portion of food, then tried to get the strong smell out of my hands. Now that I am eating it i can tell you one thing: this is the strongest (not hot though) spice I have ever found, I did probably put 5 to 10x too much. I tried to mask the too strong taste with chilli but it is just impossible :). The taste is interresting and very surprising though so I suggest you try (in tiny quantities).

9 comments:

dot said...

Lol, I had two "Indian Parties" at my place before and after christmas, and my friends made me discover asafoetida. Supposed to be good to prevent gazes, and indeed it is quite strong smelling. I have to hide in a sealed box otherwise it smells in the whole appartment!

Anonymous said...

je suis pas sure de vouloir être cobaye de tes prochaines expériences culinaires ;-))

fefe said...

En general je m'utilise comme cobaye avant de faire profiter les autres :). Il y a forcement des rates, mais vous en faire rire les transforme en succes.

fefe said...

Par exemple hier j'ai essaye ca: http://www.marmiton.org/recettes/recette.cfm?num_recette=36283&criteria=aubergine&startr=1&ContenuRecherche=1&TypePlat=entr%C3%A9e&TypePlat=plat%20principal
et c'etait super bon :).

dot said...

"Il y a forcement des rates, mais vous en faire rire les transforme en succes."

Je la replacerais celle-la :)

Anonymous said...

ça sentait tellement pas bon que tout le monde il a déserté ton blog (et toi avec) ? ;-)
zoux

Clément said...

Wow maintenant il y a du spam dans les commentaires des blogs, mais où va le monde !!!
Fefe, tu comptes revenir bientôt pour modérer tout ça ?

Anonymous said...

Clem', c'est pas la première fois que cela arrive.

fefe said...

Voila mort aux spammer. Je ne met pas en place les systeme de codes visuels parce que je n'aime pas le concept de penaliser la majorite quand une minorite pause probleme. Je continuerai donc a effacer les spams a la main.