Well it's been almost 2 months I have been away from India and I kinda miss it. I think out loud I never ate any pork vindaloos; digging in various books and on the net I find a few recipes, and I happen to have all the ingredients in my kitchen including all the spices in their raw form (proportions slightly changed and probably nowhere near what a purist would do though):
1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
2 to 3 dried red chilies (I did put 5 :)
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon cardamon seed*
1 small stick of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons whole black mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seed
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 coarse salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 onion peeled and finely sliced
1 cup water
3 cloves
1 pound pork, trimmed and cut into 2cm cubes
1cm cube fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced (I had only dried ginger)
4 garlic pieces
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Do some ginger-garlic paste, grind the remaining spices, fry the onions till golden brown, mix all into a vindaloo paste. The recipe was not saying to do it but I marinated the pork in vinegar and spices before, figuring it couldn't hurt. I then fry a bit the pork in a wok pour the paste and the water and cook under slow fire for 1 hour. I served it with basmati rice. I probably had enough vindaloo paste for more serving but I put it all, it was strong but delicious. The picture isn't good but best I could do while waiting for my new camera to be delivered.

I finished by a glass of green "Chartreuse", just to finish happily the travel between orient and occident.
Next step is to prepare stuffed wine leaves, I got a few fresh leaves and fresh kafta in the fridge, and Waffa showed me how to roll them. That's gonna be tough but I'll manage it, worst case I won't show pictures.

2 comments:
Ca a vraiment l'air
pas appetissant du tout :P
je sais, je sais, mais c'etait vraiment bon :).
Post a Comment