Thursday, September 17, 2009

Portland Japanese Garden

Last weekend we had a looong saturday doing chores and finishing some long due home improvement. We bought a few boxes in order for me to store all my camera gear in orderly fashion and organize my desk.
We also bought a cabinet in order to store all the liquor instead of having it take counter space. We found a nice looking, cheap little wooden cabinet at Bed Bath and Beyond. Label said "Made In China, Easy to Assemble". I opened the box with enthusiasm until I realized that there was no assembly manual and we had taken what appeared to be the last box in the color we liked. After about 20 minutes staring at the disaster, spreading the pieces around, turning them, shuffling them, I decided I would go ahead without the instructions. It took me a while, a bit of trial and error, but my recent experience with Ikea furniture helped me figure out what some apparently weird parts were for. Success ! We now have a nice little cabinet full of booze awaiting happy thirsty guests.

We had enough with chores so we took it easy on sunday and Michelle suggested going to the Portland Japanese Garden. I had never been there and always wanted to. We found a very nice, soothing, aesthetic but slightly overcrowded garden. I really loved the place and definitely want to come back once fall colors have started. I took quite a lot of pictures, here are a few to give you an idea on how it looks like.

Peaceful


Reminds me Monet's garden


Swirly ?

You can find more samples here.

2 comments:

Ankra said...

No Ikea in USA ? :p

fefe said...

There is one nearby, we purchased a lot of stuff there a few months ago and it helped train me for that. They didn't have any cabinet matching our booze storing requirements unfortunately.