Friday, April 08, 2005

Jerusalem Temple Mount

Yesterday I spent the afternoon taking Fernando (member of our group in Barcelona) around Jerusalem. I took him to David's tower, Holy Scepulcre, arab soukh, entrance of the temple mount, Wailing Wall, and we finished on the roof tops of the bazaar. So it was a somewhat classical tour, where we got stopped by israeli soldiers while trying to enter the temple mount (as usual I would say unfortunately). We then stopped for the rest of the afternoon in a souvenir shop I know and smoked narguile, drunk arab coffee and tea and ate the chorba while chatting.
It seems that next sunday, a group of radical right wing jews have called for a gathering on the temple mount and everybody's talking about it with fear. Last time it happened, Sharon was among them and it started a 4 years Intifada that is still not really finished. So everybody in east Jerusalem was hoping that the army would do as promised, block those militants from reaching the mosq.
I am hoping to go to Cairo with Jeremy in june, but the assassination of tourists that took place there yesterday is not very encouraging... I hope it calms down in the mean time.

No comments: