
Yesterday I went in a tour with a group of Israeli-french inside the various Gaza settlements. I was probably the only non-jew of the bus, and my political views were probably isolated too. It was a fantastically instructive tour for me, I chatted a lot, learnt a lot of history, culture and got a better understanding of the situation there through my own eyes which is something I value a lot.
The picture above is the first thing I saw on our way to Nezarim, a very isolated settlement in the middle of the Gaza Strip. The road to there is surrounded by electronic fences, a strip of around 300m has been bulldozed on each side, cameras, bunkers all over the place, and you can drive there only with a military escort (happens only at fixed hours) in armored vehicles. Along our way to the various settlements we are told stories about the people that died on their way home which is the reason for all this crazy security (I never ever had that feeling, even near the fortified presidential palace in Bogota).
Then we talk with the guide and various people living there, the main thing that came back was the feeling of having been betrayed by Sharon who sent them there to live under the Qassams, build their houses, and now evicts them without a thank after they elected him. The religious aspect was also very present, the guide explaining why Gaza should be considered historically (from the Torah) as a part of Israel, but I heard also contradicting stories about this same subject so I will not discuss it much, my knowledge in this area being very limited.
If for one second you forget those issues you just see a heavily cultivated land by a very small population (8300) in the middle of a very dense and poor Arab population (1.3Million). The amount of military protection this population needs to survive seems dereasonable, as well as the danger they are living in daily. The repartition of land seems absurd even if it is easy to understand the military needs that were behind: cutting the Gaza strips in several independent parts to better control the movement of its inhabitants, agriculture needs large areas for a very small amount (and very few are those ready to live there) leading to a population density gradient of over 50x.

No comments:
Post a Comment